17 Dec 2016

Chapter 10: My Education, Upbringing and Childhood


 Chapter 10: My Education, Upbringing and Childhood

My earliest memories are of living in Tanda, however, I have no recollection of our time in Bangermau. My parents (marhoom) were very concerned about our education and upbringing. We began our education at the age of four and my father would strictly discipline us if we fell short of our commitment. My routine was to sit with my mother until 9.30am every morning and study the Qaidah-e-Baghdadi followed by the Sipara. Thereafter, I ate and made preparations to attend school, which was approximately one mile away from Alhadadpur, with my father. The teachers at school also adopted very strict discipline methods. I was put into Grade eight (in the school system used at the time - the middle class was referred to as Grade one and the lowest level was Grade eight). I used to stay at school untill four o'clock and then return home with my father. For the rest of the day I was not permitted to go out and play with the village boys and was confined to our home. Sometimes, I would leave the house by avoiding my father’s notice or during his absence and if he found out i was severely punished. On our journey to school and back, we would take along with us our home-reared goat (of good breed) and its young. The school grounds were expansive and so the goat would be tied to a very long rope, and allowed to graze on the grounds all day. In our free time and during vacations, we would specially travel to the jungle that surrounded the school grounds so that the goat and its young could graze there(in this the way we had to fulfil the Sunnah of Rasulullah sallallahu alayhi wasallam).

In terms of my engagement in play, I had a cousin of a similar age to me called Jawwad Hussain (marhoom) who lived in the same village. He was my maternal uncle’s son whom I used to play marbles with when I had free time. There were only two homes we were allowed to visit: one was that of my paternal uncle, and secondly was the home of My maternal uncle, Tafadhul Hussain (marhoom). Even so, my father was not happy that spent my time playing at his house. As for my paternal uncle, he had no son of similar age to myself, so I found it pointless visiting his house. In essence, during my childhood I only played with marbles and only in secrecy, as it was otherwise restricted. Whilst we lived Tanda, I never had the opportunity to fly a kite, play ball or gilli danda. In the village there were some other similar aged boys, but I was not permitted to go to their homes. My brother Saeed Ahmed sahib (marhoom) and myself were of similar age and he would always telltales about me (like how brothers of very close age naturally have that habit). My brother was a person of a mild nature; he never took much interest in playing and complied to all my parents’ wishes. If I ever ventured out to play, he was sent to search for me - he would scold me and take me directly to my father to face the consequences.

My lifestyle continued in this manner for eight years, and during this time I did Nadhira of the Qur’an upto para five with my mother (marhoom) and then with my father I went onto completing para five till the end of the Qur’aan. I went on to study Aa-mad Naama, Dastoorul Sibyan and part of Gulistan at home. Simultaneously, at school I had moved upto Grade two. At school we were taught many subjects: All areas of mathematics, including algebra, Geometry and Euclid Volume One, all aspects of general and regional geography, general and regional history, practical geometry, (use of land measurement tools and scale drawings), writing skills and dictation skills. In addition, I also fully completed the Urdu language course. I had mastered all my subjects and my memory was a testimony of this.

When I turned thirteen years old, my second eldest brother Saeed Ahmad sahib (marhoom) had completed Urdu Middle Class and was sent to Deoband in Dhul Qa’da 1308 Hijri (1890 CE). My eldest brother was already there studying his final books. When he got married, Saeed Ahmad (marhoom) was also sent along with him to Deoband. It was then that we had some freedom at home, as there was no one to come searching for us outside and no one to take us to my father to be disciplined. My natural inclination towards play and games persisted; whenever my father sent me on an errand or to call someone to him, I would use it as an opportunity to run to my maternal uncle’s house and play with Jawwad Hussain (marhoom). My uncle’s household showed us great love and affection; they felt sorry for us because of the way we had to continually study night and day. My father, on the other hand, was very troubled that his strict methods of discipline had no bearing on me: He saw how my desire for play and games would resurface after a few days of compliance.

Three months after my two brothers had moved to Deoband, my father decided that I should also move there. He sent me there in the company of Munshi Ferozuddin sahib batalvi (marhoom) who was my father’s close friend. He was a citizen of the city of Batala in the Gurdaspur District of Punjab and he worked as a clerk in Faizabaad. A strong friendship and kinship existed between them because they were peer bhais (both students-mureeds of the same spiritual mentor). Munshi sahib was returning to Batala for some reason and so my father asked him to take me to Deoband. Munshi saab (marhoom) agreed to this arrangement as he was intending to travel past Saharanpur. I was taken to Deoband in the early part of Safar 1309 Hijri (1891 CE) and I resided with my brothers in their room that was part of building that was situated opposite the masjid of Shaykhul Hind RA and near the home of Shaykhul Hind (RA). When I started my study of Gulistan and Meezan, my elder brother made a personal request to Shaykhul Hind (RA) to teach me the preliminary pages of both books for the purpose of barakah. Shaykhul Hind asked Molana Kahalil Ahmad Sahranpuri (marhoom) to teach me the preliminary lessons in a gathering where other ulema were also present. My brother himself taught me Meezan and Munshaab.

Everybody would show me a great deal of compassion as I was short in stature and underweight and looked around eleven years old, despite being thirteen years old. Secondly, I was one of the youngest students there because minors who lived at a distance would not generally attend the madrasah. Owing to my proficiency in literacy and numeracy, good writing skills, and as it presented no purdah concerns, I would regularly visit my teachers’ houses to help them with their personal letters and accounts. The respected wife (RA) of Shaykhul Hind (RA) was particularly considerate towards me. I was known as the 'mastoorati munshi’ (women's clerk). During this stay with my brothers, I lost the little freedom I once had at home in Tanda. Both my elder brothers were extremely strict-especially the eldest. My father would at least show some compassion whilst he was disciplining me or after disciplining me, but this was not the case with my brothers. As a result of the confinement and strict monitoring that I underwent in their care, my ilmi pursuits and engagements increased and my playful inclinations subsided. Farhamhumullah wa jazahum Ahsanal jaza - May Allah swt have mercy upon them and reward them with the best reward. Ameen


Chapter 11: http://qalamee.blogspot.co.uk/2018/01/chapter-11-my-education-in-darul-uloom.html




1 comment:

  1. Salam Alaikum,

    I read all of the post until now, Alhamdulillah, and I enjoyed them greatly. Jazakallah Khair for embarking on this wonderful project. I can't wait to read forth coming chapters.

    As for this current chapter, I find Hazrat Madani's description of his childhood strikingly similar to Hazrat Shaykh Muhammad Zakariyya's childhood in that both their fathers were very strict regarding their education, and in limiting their interactions. I wonder if this theme is seen in the childhoods of other figures aming the Akabir Deoband?

    ReplyDelete